There are so many different powers telling us what we should look like, how we should wear our makeup, and what clothes to wear. From advertisements, celebrities or even our mothers, an ideal sense of what true beauty is constantly being projected on us. These views tend to overpower our own, more important ideas of what makes ourselves feel beautiful. As overpowering as they may be, we can’t blame them for the way we feel about ourselves. Instead, we must learn how to embrace our own, unique beauty and put those other messages on mute. Our body image is thought to be a mixture of our personality, outside social influences, inner personal experiences, and cultural ideals. The perception of our own body image is drastically different than how others perceive us.
Here are a few ways to define your beauty, and mute everyone else’s:
1. Your first instinct is usually right, so stick with it when trying on clothes before you leave the house. Wear that flashy shirt you fell in love with a few months ago but just haven’t had the courage to wear.
2. Read fashion magazines, but don’t take them too seriously. They’re nice for a few tips, but don’t idolize their messages and images. The women on the pages look just like you, before all of the airbrushing and touch-ups. No one struts the streets looking like they just walked out of a billboard, yet it’s engrained in our society that women are supposed to look like that.
3. Go natural. Go a day with less makeup than you typically wear, it’s good for your skin, and refreshing to look in the mirror and see yourself in a natural, healthy way.
4. Look in the mirror. No really, just look. Our mothers always told us to stop staring in the mirror, but really just stare at yourself and see every little imperfection that makes you, you.
5. Smile more. Happiness radiates confidence within ourselves and around us.
For more wonderful tips on feeling good about the woman you see in the mirror everyday, sign-up for our newsletter click here, now.